Sunday, April 10, 2016

366 Days with J. Jonah Jameson, Day 101: What If...Jack Kirby Drew J. Jonah Jameson?

As far as the internet tells me, "The King" never actually drew Jolly Jonah (JJJ doesn't even appear in Fantastic Four until ish #110, just after Kirby left the book). But here's the next best thing: a Kirbyesque portrayal by José Ladrönn, from the pages, of all places...Cable!


Panels from Cable (1993 series) #62 (December 1998); script by Joe Casey; pencils by José Ladrönn; inks by Juan Vlasco, Al Milgrom, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Scott Koblish; colors by Gloria Vasquez; letters by Richard Starkings

If you know of any comic in which Jack Kirby drew J. Jonah Jameson, for gosh sakes, let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

Chris K said...

Hey, I think I've actually found one...

Dunno how to attach an image to a comment (and I took such nice cellphone photos and everything!), but there is a crowd scene in the "Origin of Sore, Son of Shmodin" story in NOT BRAND ECCH #3, and way in the back of a sea of 60's caricatures (The Monkees! Ali! LBJ!) is JJJ!

The art is Kirby / Giacoia... but looking at this panel, I kind of suspect that Marie Severin may have pitched in on the caricatures, so it may not actually be Kirby on JJJ. (This is where some letter page armadillo would ask, "Hmm, what does Marveldom Assembled think?")

It's page 6, panel 1 of the story. If you can't get your hands on a copy, let me know, and maybe I can whip up some quick scans.

--Chris K

Blam said...

Ha! I shoulda hit your link first, Bully, 'cause it turned out to be the very GCD Advanced Search I did to see whether I could turn something up that way.

Bully said...

Thanks so much, Chris K! See the labor of your love right here!