Sunday, September 23, 2007

The angels stole my police box.

When I was in London in December, on the final day of my holiday, I took a walking tour through Notting Hill and, as the group cut up a long old street (The Piggeries, now known as Pottery Lane) I looked up at the rooftops to my left and spotted this:
DON'T take your eyes off her.

I was at the tail-end of the tour group (it's hard keeping up with little legs and small hooves) so I wasn't able to ask the tour guide, the cheerful and well-spoken Brian, what that mysterious sad angel statue was for, so I just pulled out my little Instamatic, snapped that photo, and trotted quickly after the group to avoid being left behind.

Flash forward nine months later. Today I'm catching up watching episodes of the third series of Doctor Who that taped while I was on vacation last week. I've just finished watching "Blink", in which mysterious weeping angel statues threaten to [SPOILER ALERT] steal the personal time of those who take their eyes off the angels. The angels hijack the TARDIS and leave The Doctor and Martha stranded in 1969, from which they must send messages to the future of 2007 to put things right that once went wrong.

It's a brilliant, creepy episode: sad, funny, clever and all the more for being one of the episodes where David Tennant and Freema Agyeman hardly appear—the focus is on the latter-day character Sally Sparrow who tries to unravel the mystery. And at last a piece of the puzzle falls into place for me. I'm glad I saw the angel, I'm glad I stared her down. Because you always need to face the angels. And you always need to know where your TARDIS is.
A TARDIS just my size



4 comments:

Captain Infinity said...

Ah, London. What a wonderful city. It's been ten years since I visited and can't wait to get the chance to go back.

If you haven't stopped by the only police box remaining in London, you should do so the next time you're there. It's at the Earls Court tube stop and it's a true geek thrill.

Anonymous said...

"Sally Sparrow" is one of the most Wodehousey heroine names ever.

Dom Sutton said...

Blink was the best episode of the series. It was written by Steven Moffat who also wrote The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances double from series 1. Wish he'd write more Who.

Anonymous said...

Well, he's writing a 2-parter for the upcoming series, so your wish is granted. :-) (He also wrote the Hugo-winning episode "The Girl in the Fireplace...)